Many families keep air freshener’s in their homes, I myself do as well and have always. I love for my home to have a clean and fresh smell to it, especially after I clean or change a dirty diaper. Recently after coming across an article, I discovered the harm in using air freshener’s along with the ingredients most of them contain. So with that being said, I decided to share them with you.
Here are some of the Ingredients and possible harmful effects:
- Methoxyclor: pesticide that accumulates in fat cells.
- Paradichclorobenzene: Causes Cancer.
- Phenol: Flammable corrosive and very toxic.
- Formaldehyde: Admitted by EPA to be a cause of cancer.
- Benzene: Carcinogen, can cause anemia and leukemia.
- Phatalates: Hormones disrupting, can cause birth defects.
- 1.4 – DCB: Reduces pulmonary function.
- Xylene: Causes nausea, liver, and kidney damage.
- Naphthalene: Lung irritant, linked to blood, kidney, and liver problems.
Who would’ve known that these were the ingredients used just to have our homes smelling fresh? Are these products really worth investing our money into if we’re possibly putting our family at risk? Fortunately, I found a great solution.
Instead of using air freshener’s with harmful toxins, why not use a natural freshener? It would leave you with the comfort of knowing that you’re not putting your family at risk. It would also leave you with the comfort of knowing what’s actually in your freshener.
Here’s a great do it yourself recipe for a Natural Air Freshener.
- A clean, empty spray bottle
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda
- 2 cups distilled water
- 20 drops of essential oil ( a single scent, or a mixture, the choice is yours )
- Mix the essential oils with the baking soda.
- Shake it up in the bottle, then add the water.
- Shake it up and spray as needed.
- Lavender, Rosemary, cinnamon, lemon, lime, rose, chamomile, jasmine, vanilla, are just a few great essentials oils recommend for you to try.
Sources: brownthumbmama.com and ewg.org